Monday, June 1, 2015

Thank you notes after a Korean University Interview

thank you note
Thank you note-Korean University Interview


A reader question from Kristina:

"I read your helpful book about getting a uni job in South Korea, and I’ve had two interviews over the last two days.

In the US, it’s expected that interviewees will send thank you notes to the people who interviewed them, but I’m getting the impression on various online job sites that this is a peculiar American custom. My British friends who teach in Seoul said they did not do that, and one friend even suggested that it could be misconstrued as overly aggressive in the Korean context.


I didn’t see anything in your book about following up after an interview and am wondering if you have any advice about whether I should email the people who interviewed me to thank them."

My answer: 

I didn't include anything in the book because it's really up to you. I don't think it's going to help you and most administrators at universities in Korea will probably look at it, think it's kind of strange, throw it in the trash and then not think twice about it.

However, unlike your friend I don't think it's going to hurt you either.

Basically, I just think it's a total waste of time and money! Perhaps an email a couple weeks after your interview if you haven't heard anything saying something like, "I'm wondering if you've made any decisions regarding this position yet" is better.

No comments: