Thursday, February 24, 2011

Textbook Review: Top Notch Series

My school just changed over to a new book for the practical English freshman classes.  We had previously used the most fabulous World Link: Developing English Fluency series, which I enjoyed immensely.  However, it was 3 long years, and by my count, I had to teach each lesson a whopping 28 times over the years.  So, this change is welcome.

We've switched to Top Notch and at first glance, it looks pretty solid.  The book is well-done, with interesting topics.  There is a resource book with ready made activities, as well as a CD ROM with a million and one worksheets and stuff.  However, the coolest thing is these elaborate online homework/testing thing they've got going on.  It takes a while to set up, but once you do, you're solid.  You can give homework for each unit online, and then at the end of the semester, get one final homework score for each student.  It's just my style.  For real. 

Anyway, more reviews later, as I use it on actual students.

No comments: