And so it begins...another semester, my 9th at this same university. After 8 semesters, I'm still nervous for the first day of class. Anyway, here is my plan for today:
1. Teacher Introduction. I basically give my name, and how they can contact me.
2. Attendance, and I pass around an information sheet so I can get their names, phone numbers and email addresses.
3. Textbook stuff.
4. Rules and attendance policy.
5. Grades and assignments this semester.
6. Online Homework: I will show a short video and do a demo for how they can sign up.
7. Homework for next week: sign up for online homework thing and buy book.
Then I let them go early. I'm all business on the first day and for the first couple weeks. Then, once I get to know the students better and they know me and we have a kind of respect thing going, I loosen up and have more fun with them.