Thursday, January 1, 2009

Board Games

One of my favorite things to do in class is board games. Sometimes I'll make my own and play as a class for a review game or the World Link Textbook has some really good ones in their teacher resource book.

When I use the ones from the textbook, I'll put the students in groups of 4 and get them to referee their own games. I'll promise a "stamp," which translates into grades for my class to the winner of each group. I'll write on the board a couple example questions from the game and put up some wrong and right answers. Then, I'll ask my students which one is wrong and why until the get the hang of it. In their own games, if their classmate answers incorrectly, he will not be able to move his marker ahead but will have to remain in the same square. It's amazing how competitive Korean students can get and I can see them all listening intently to their classmates and figuring out if their grammar is correct or not. If they have a dispute, I'll come offer the final decision about a right or wrong answer. Getting them to correct each other adds a whole new element of intensity to the class and dramatically improves accuracy of speaking. Try it...you'll be amazed I think!

Free: 40 Tried and Tested ESL Games and Activities

No comments: