Monday, December 28, 2009

The first day of class

I kind of loathe the first day of class stuff. Like the awkward nervous silence when you try to make light conversation but everyone just kind of stares and doesn't quite know how to react. Little icebreaker games and stuff are okay but so far, I haven't really found any that I actually like. For example, today I wrote up a few answers on the board, and got the students to guess the questions. They kind of liked it, I guess but still not great. Then, I got the student to do the same and the class went around and guessed stuff. No one was really inspired to actually say anything interesting, which was kind of annoying.

Anyway, what's your secret plan for fun, interesting first day introductions? Help me! Please. I still haven't figured it out after 5 years :(

1 comment:

Burns said...

Go over the syllabus and let them out early!