Monday, August 23, 2010

Banter

I'm pretty convinced that a little banter between the teacher and the students at the beginning of a language class is a good thing.  It shows the language being used in a natural kind of way.  Except, I'm just not that good at it.  I'm the master of a 1-1 conversation, as well as with small groups.  I can keep the conversation going for hours if needed with even the most boring person or group.  I am not so good at the big group, in front of a class kind of thing.  Perhaps it's me, or perhaps it's that most Korean students are very reluctant to speak out in front of their peers for fear of shame or embarrassment.  Anyway, today was the first day of class this semester.  I started with, "How was your summer?  Did anyone go anywhere outside Korea?  Did anyone go to Jeju Island or Busan?"  It went quite well and I managed to elicit a few, varied responses.  Maybe it's just a matter of doing it everyday no matter what and getting both myself and the students into the habit of it. 

Anyone have any tips?

No comments: