Thursday, May 1, 2014

"Great Essays" sample lesson plan and PPT

I must confess that I don't actually make "lesson-plans" because my PPTs are my lesson plans.  And, I will usually just write some additional notes in the book on the pages that we're covering to remind myself of things, give some extra examples, etc. 

Here is my Great Essays 4, Unit 3 Lesson Plan.  It's an introduction to Cause and Effect Essays.  A few things to note:

1. It's a lot of content, but I try to give the information in a way that is interactive and involves group work/discussion.  And minimizes the lecture time, which I think is actually quite ineffective and leads to sleeping students.

2. The PPTs are simple. 

3. Never give back midterm exams until the end of class!

4. Give the plan for the day at the beginning of class.

5. It's actually the PPTs for 2 classes.  I teach 2, 1.5 hour classes/week

No comments: