Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Does the Celta open doors at Korean Unis?

I got this comment from a reader and I wanted to clear up any misinformation:

"I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. I read that the CELTA enables you to teach at the University level. Since I saw that you took the CELTA course in Seoul (which I plan on doing), I was wondering if it opened doors for you."

My comment:

The Celta does NOT enable you to teach at a Korean university.  A masters with 2 years experience at a Korean uni, or a BA with 4 years experience teaching at a Korean uni does that.  You can slip in with lesser qualifications but it won't be easy.  Most Koreans actually have no idea what the Celta is and truly won't care if you have one or not. 

I simply did it to improve my job prospects for the day that I'll eventually leave Korea.  If you're doing it to teach in Korea with, I'd strongly recommend not wasting your time or money.

No comments: