Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reader Questions from George

"1.What do I need to do in order to get hired by a university in Korea? I had heard from another Canadian (who had taught secondary students there) that I should just send my resume out to universities directly.
2. Do you have any suggestions? Another preference would be to teach working adults as well (I'm older myself).
3. Can I assume that all contracts for Korea must be for 1 year?"
Let me answer these questions in turn.  For #1, you basically need to have all your documents ready to go (I'm no expert on this, but you'll need an RCMP background check, and diploma that have been notarized/certified by the Korean consulate, as well as a few others bits and pieces).  This is for immigration.  
Unis will usually require a Masters degree, which you have.  They will usually only hire people that are in-country, but there are a rare few who do telephone interviews.  You could send out resumes to universities directly, but I've never heard of it working.  A better plan is to cruise the Korean job board on www.eslcafe.com and apply for jobs there.  Be sure to follow directions precisely and send in exactly what you need for each job.  There are 3 or 4 uni jobs advertised everyday, at this time of year.
#2.  There are other adult teaching jobs here besides unis.  However, these are often not so ideal because you'll have to do a split-shift.  Think 6-9am and 6-9pm.  You'll soon be burnt out and exhausted.  
#3.  Yes, all contracts are for one year.  
General advice:  Why not apply for a public school job?  They're much easier to get from out of country.  Specify that you'd like to work with high school students perhaps.  While you're here, make connections and try to get the uni job for your second year.  

No comments: