Monday, May 10, 2010

A simple review game

Last week in class, my grammar point was countable/uncountable nouns and all the technical details surrounding it.  It can get quite complicated, so I wanted to review it before moving on.  A fun way to do it (and other stuff too!) is to play this game.  I'm sure you know the game S-O-S.  If you get three "S" in a row or three "O" in a row you draw a line through it and get a point.   I've adapted this game for my purposes.

I draw a grid on the board, usually 6x6.  I give them numbers and letters to make it easier for the students to pick what box they want.  Then, I divide the students up into teams of 4 or 5 and give them each a symbol (triangle, square, star, heart, etc).  Then, I ask review questions, going from team to team.  Simple, easy questions with a definite right or wrong answer are best to keep this game moving quickly.  A correct answer gets them a square on the board.  I do 6 or 7 rounds, and by this time the good teams will have 2 or 3 points.  The top team gets a prize (in my class: a stamp worth 1% of their final grade). 

As a final note: this game gets boring after 20 minutes or so, so don't plan on playing this for an entire class.  It works best as a warm-up review kind of game. 

No comments: