Saturday, January 17, 2015

Professional Development-Start your Own Teaching Website

An excellent way to challenge yourself professionally is to start a teaching website of some sort, kind of like this one. Not only have I learned lots of helpful teaching things, but I've met plenty of fabulous people through it as well plus I have a few website development skills which might come in handy in the future. Here is some advice I have on various options for websites:

1. Blogger (like this blog) is a decent choice if you want really, really simple and easy. You can probably get up to speed in under an hour with this choice. 

2. Wordpress.com is similar to Blogger but it requires a wee bit more technical skill. It's probably better to start with this rather than Blogger because learning how to develop websites through this platform is a much more valuable skill for your future. Here's one site I developed using Wordpress.com:

Freedom Through Passive Income

3. Wordpress.org. Wordpress.org shares the same platform as Wordpress.com with the difference being that you need to have your own domain (instead of XYZ.wordpress.com) and that you need another site to host your page (although you can pay wordpress to do it for you too).  You can use something like Go Daddy for domains and hosting, and then Wordpress for the platform, which is how many of the websites you see do it (basically!). It is quite complicated, as I am discovering now that I've started working on my new website.

Jackie Bolen Please don't look too closely! I just bought it last night and haven't had much time to add cool stuff.

4. Hubpages. If you want to talk about a specific topic related to teaching, Hubpages is an excellent choice. Here are a few examples of my pages related to teaching:

ESL Icebreaker Activities

ESL Writing textbooks

Speaking activities for ESL students

No comments: