Thursday, January 22, 2015

Student Evaluations +my Cynical Nature = Time to Leave Korea

It's that time of year: student evaluations are up on the Internet again. At my university, student evaluations are the sole basis of whether or not I get my contract renewed beyond my current tenure. Now, that's a whole can of worms that I don't think I'm going to open and thankfully, I actually don't care about evaluations because I'm just going to finish my contract and go back to Canada.

Upon reading my student's comments, here are the only negative ones I got and my own comments in response.

Too much homework, even though it was helpful in improving English speaking ability 
(what English major wouldn't want to improve their English ability? It's mystifying.)

Speaking tests were too subjective (I graded according to this whole grid system with numerous categories that I explained thoroughly before the test)

I didn't grade like the Korean professors/ I didn't give good grades just for showing up to class (Ummmm...are we in kindergarten here? Since when you should get a good grade in a university class just for parking your butt in a chair and breathing a bit of air?)

I didn't like having to change conversation partners every class (notice: real-life involves talking to other people besides just your BFF-why not get used to it now in a safe, happy place such as my class?)

My lateness policy was too strict (Yes, of course it is because NOTHING is more disruptive and not conducive to actual learning than having students constantly stream in at varying intervals for the first 1,2,3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 minute points in the class)

Moral of the Story

It's time for me to get out of dodge, and the quicker the better. Still want to work at a University in South Korea? Let me tell you how:








No comments: