Thursday, November 1, 2012

Reader Question...Qualifications necessary to get a Uni Job in Korea

These ones from Chantelle:

"I would really like to teach at university level next year. But I only have an honours degree.  I also don't have a TEFL qualification yet. Do you think it is possible to get a position to teach at university level and how can I go about? Or do you maybe have any advice etc. I'm still in the beginning phase of my research so I don't have much information on the topic yet."

Hi, these days your chances of getting a uni job with your qualifications are pretty slim.  From what I understand, an honors degree is a basically a pumped-up BA.  If you peruse the Korean job ads over on ESL Cafe,  you'll see that most unis are asking for people with Masters + 2 years Uni experience, or a BA with 4 years Uni experience.  And, I think they'll be able to fill their positions with people who match the qualifications.  Koreans don't generally care about TEFL qualifications so don't waste your time with that.

 So, you may randomly luck out, but I'd say that there is a 99.99% chance you won't get a uni job.  However, you can still come to Korea and work at a public school or hagwon and try to work your way up in the world through making contacts, professional development, etc. 

No comments: