Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Strengths and Weaknesses as a Teacher (Part 1 of ???)

Lately, I've been thinking about my strengths and weaknesses as a teacher and how this relates to the way that I run my classroom. At my school, we're given the textbook and left to our own devices, which is nice because everyone can teach whatever style suits them (or the students!) best.

I know that my major weakness is grammar. I know the basics of English grammar but when it gets into anything intricate I'm a little lost as to how to explain it in a way that students can understand. For example, I taught a writing class once that was a bit of a dud because I just didn't really have the background knowledge required to do it well.

But, I know that my major strength is explaining things in an extremely simple way. My students have commented that my class is the best English class they have ever taken because they could understand everything. Simple grammar things, vocab words, speaking simply to explain games and activities are definitely something I'm pretty good at I think. Like I can take something that could potentially be kind of complicated and break it down for them so that a 5 year old could understand it.

My students are not high level at this university but this seems to work for me. My style, of running my classroom like an elementary school classroom seems to work with where they're at, in terms of the English language. More thoughts on this later!

No comments: